POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: file names (Macintosh, Unix?,...) : Re: file names (Macintosh, Unix?,...) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:36:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: file names (Macintosh, Unix?,...)
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 13 Jan 1999 14:31:27
Message: <369cf48f.0@news.povray.org>
Johannes Hubert <jhu### [at] algonetse> wrote:
: Regardless of if the OS allows a leading space or not: Why would anyone in
: his right mind would want to use a leading space in a filename? This looks
: to me like inviting problems in more areas than only POV-ray - even if the
: OS handles the filenames correctly, humans will *very* easily make mistakes
: because it will be so easy to miss the leading space.
: Seems just as bad a practice to me as using *several* leading spaces
: (imagine, with a proportional font, the fun of "guessing" how many spaces
: you have to type to replicate a filename! ;-) or even worse: one or several
: *trailing* spaces (and no ".*" fileextension of course, which could spoil
: the fun of guessing the number of trailing spaces!)

: Well, as said, I am curious. After all, there may be valid reasons... Any
: suggestions?

  Perhaps he wants to indent the file names properly?-)

  And anyways, you don't have to guess anything if you have a proper shell
which supports file name completion (ok, the completion doesn't work when
you are editing a pov-file... but at least you can look at the number of
spaces :) )

--
main(i){char*_="BdsyFBThhHFBThhHFRz]NFTITQF|DJIFHQhhF";while(i=
*_++)for(;i>1;printf("%s",i-70?i&1?"[]":" ":(i=0,"\n")),i/=2);} /*- Warp. -*/